Saturday 13 April 2013

January ARC "Becoming Jane Eyre"

(Admittedly this is a few months late, but I did read it in January!)
I bought this on a whim in December and loaded it onto my kindle. I didn't know too much about it, I just know that Jane Eyre is one of' my all time favourites. I even remember reading it for the first time.
So it seemed an ideal book to put in my ARC list.
It isn't about Jane Eyre, but Charlotte Bronte. A dramatic re-telling of her life. Not a biography.
It opens with Charlotte nursing her father after an eye operation. Her first book has been rejected, whilst Emily and Anne have been successful. She fails to hide her disappointment as she was the sisterto push to have their poetry published.
Her failed love affair with her Belgian professor is told in flashback chapters, as is her early life with her sisters.
Once she returns to Howarth with her father, the story leaves the flashbacks and tells the story of Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell from Charlotte's viewpoint.

The story has some uncomfortable jumps. Emily's death is hardly mentioned. And the doomed romance with her publisher given more time.  In fact it is given far more time than her real husband who barely achieves a paragraph.

The jumps spoil the book. It misses the parts of Charlotte's life I would like to see dramatised. Maybe the author didn't feel she was up to it?
However, it has made me go back to reread some of my Bronte books, and add Agnes Grey to my ARC list. I have also looked up Mrs Gaskell's "Life of Charlotte Bronte" and added that to my kindle.
Plus I have every intention of taking my daughter to Howarth this summer.

1 comment: